EC Editor Hal McGee reports:
EC Editor Hal McGee reports:
On Tuesday when I got home I found in my mailbox a package from an old contact and tape trading partner of mine from the 1990s, Kei Yokota. Kei has two recordings projects, Outermost and Invader From Mars, and I still have cassettes by both. When I saw Kei's address on the package I immediately recognized it as being the same address he had 20 years ago, in Sapporo, Japan. It is likely that I first contacted Kei through our mutual friend, Brian Noring, who operated the FDR Tapes label in Des Moines.
Inside the box I found a beautiful 7-inch 45 RPM record release on the Skull Records label titled "Studies Of Space And Sorrow", with Bastard Noise on Side A, and Kei's Outermost on Side B. The printed sleeve features richly-detailed artwork by Masato Okano that is psychedelic, freaky, super creepy, and awesome. The liner notes on the inside of the cover contains a plea for compassion for all living things, sensitivity to Mother Earth, and a call for all people to show kindness to animals, the elderly, and Nature.
If I understand correctly, the four tracks, two on each side, are collaborations of Barnes and Wood of BN with Yokota. Rumbling, crunchy electronics with screamed vocals, perhaps illustrating the pain and suffering of The Earth, and righteous anger at "Insensitive Life-Forms (That) Now 'Sunbathe' in Space..." The record itself is a beautiful object - LAVENDER vinyl!
This record was released in 2017, but I'm not sure if there are any copies left. The Bastard Noise website SEEMS to be inactive: the Store section is definitely inactive. There are currently four copies for sale on Discogs.
I am very happy to have this record, and it makes me happy to be back in touch with Kei. I am going to my HalZine 11 + CDR to him in trade soon. A quick web search reveals no online presence for Kei. I am not surprised by that! Kei always seemed like the kind of guy who would remain true to physical object based noise. I seriously doubt that he and I ever exchanged an email! Our interactions were probably totally through postal mail. If any of you want to write to Kei and see if he wants to trade recordings, email me, and I will give you his postal address.
Below is a 27-second audio excerpt from Outermost's side of the record.
"Is this show by lord Litter a pop opera? What defines a pop opera? .... The voice of Hermanos Guzanos coming out right at the beginning invites the listener, or rather visitor of this show to enter a world of horror and suspense"
... from introduction written by Rinus van Alebeek ..keep reading here:
The show will be on almost daily rotation for at least one month - please check SCHEDULE > http://www.radio-on-berlin.com/?page_id=591
>> Darrell Draeger's Cassette Culture Blog .......
1. Hermanos Guzanos - Mysterical Sights MC - The Worm's Turn!
2. Tom Furgas - The Guest Expulsed #3 - MC - Turn Back The Rainbows
3. Oliver Squash - Saturn - MC - Wastecoat
4. McTHING - Rampant Rabbit Love Son
5. McTHING - Yanks + Guns = Asshole
4/5 CD - The Worst of McTHING
.. if you want to get in touch write to me ..
6. Little Fyodor - Death Sides Now
7. Little Fyodor - Open up your heart (and let the sunshine in)
6/7 CD - Peace is boring - http://www.LittleFyodor.com
>> SPECIAL - Die Welttraumforscher ...............
8. Die Welttraumforscher - Weihnachten im Weltall (plus LP Linernotes)
9. Die Welttraumforscher - Folklore des Uranus
10. Die Welttraumforscher - Loretown & Mindgarden
11. Die Welttraumforscher - In Saus und Braus
12. Die Welttraumforscher - Hundertausend Jahre
8-12 - LP - Folklore des Weltalls
Die Welttraumforscher Info:
In depth article on Die Welttraumforscher
Die Welttraumforscher website on Archive.org:
>> The Internet Archive ........................
13. Dark Fantasy - Men Call Me Mad (excerpt)
14. Hal McGee - this is what 60 sounds like (excerpt) - CD - http://www.haltapes.com - NEW: Electronic Cottage,online magazin for your DIY music, art, noise, and ideas! http://www.electroniccottage.org
15. Dorninger - Butter & Tea - CD - 8k
16. The Smiling Buddhas - In Roma - CD - All Nighter
http://www.base.at - FORTHCOMMING: CASSETTE CULTURE NODE.LINZ - an exhibition - http://www.base.at/ccnl/info/english-CCNL/
17. Eric Hausmann / Don Campau - groans and greetings - CD - Night Of The Garden (Lorca in Dub) - http://www.doncampau.com
ELECTRONIC COTTAGE community members Shatter Wax and Jen Sandwich will be covering Moogfest 2018 in May. On Friday we applied for press passes for them and today they were approved. Jay will write up a preview article and post it on EC in the coming days. Contact me, your editor, if you would like to donate a few dollars to help them with lodging and travel expenses.
LORD LITTER'S MAGIC MUSIC BOX - 2018 - 17
on air APRIL 27 / 6 PM at KWTF
KWTF broadcasting from Bodega Bay, California, USA at 881 FM
and streaming on the Internet at http://www.kwtf.net/
next Saturday via http://www.archive.org
The Show presents the new microcosm of free music production, once known as "independent" or "alternative" music, expressions, that - now integrated into the "system" - have no more relation to their original meaning ... music that is uniquely based on more than 70 years of recorded sound, whatever direction ... from classic cassette scene releases of the 1980s to the hypermodern update studiotechnology results. The emphasis is on long working musicians with a unique quality.
1. Anton Barbeau - Magazine Street - CD - Natural Causes - http://www.antonbarbeau.com
Sunday 13May, 8pm
BIG STIR BRITANNIA returns to The Oval in Croydon, South London, U.K.: ANTON BARBEAU, CHARMS AGAINST THE EVIL EYE, SPYGENIUS of Canterbury. FREE as always!
>> Kid In A Big World....lost treasure re_released....
2. John Howard - Deadly Nightshade - Kid In A Big World (LP+Mp3) Reissue - http://www.youarethecosmos.com/
Autobiography, Incidents Crowded With Life, published by Fisher King - http://www.fisherkingpublishing.co.uk/incidents-crowded-with-life/
3. Steve Kusaba - Sugar Time - 2 CD - The Life of a Planet - https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/SteveKusaba
4. Bringers of Change - Rise & Shine - CD - Thin Ice - http://www.fallingarecords.com
5. Dorninger - Synchronized Minds - CD - Hisatsinom, Ueber das Verschwinden - http://www.base.at
6. Hal McGee - CD excerpt - Fanzine + CD - Halzine 11 - http://www.haltapes.com
7. John Cee Stannard Blues Orchestra - Better Days - Breaking my Roll - CD - The "Doob Doo" album - http://www.johnceestannard.co.uk
8. Ian Whitcomb - King Chanticleer - Ian Whitcomb's Ragtime America - http://www.picklehead.com/ian.html
9. Cafe Unterzucker - Eis am Stecken - CD - Bitte, Mammi, hol mich ab - http://www.cafeunterzucker.de
10. A Daneem - kimmed de liebe - CD - Gschichten aus dem Hinterland - http://www.adaneem.de
11. Oasno - Genau mei Weda - CD EP - Schmankerl - http://www.oansno.de
12. Schnauser - I could'nt ... - CD - The Sound of Meat - http://www.pinkhedgehog.com
>> 10 Years of FRUITS DE MER Records .........PART 4........
13. Claudio Cataldi - Here She comes now
14.The Incomplete Angler / Book - 10 years of Fruits De Mer Records, featuring over fifty Interviews, a full lable discography, illustrations and more - http://www.davethompsonbooks.wordpress.com
15. nick nicely - Hilly Fields - The Morning
13 / 15 - 3 LP + 7" compilation - Goldfish - http://www.fruitsdemerrecords.com
this news items was passed along to the EC Editor by Evan Cantor of Walls Of Genius
I am Yann Pillas and I take care of a small Netlabel of quite eclectic music on the internet:
No Records. I put artists on my Bandcamp page productions in listening and free download.
I have plans to make a compilation on the internet on the theme of RADIO NAUTILUS. I would like to bring together artists like you around this theme. If this project interests you, tell me. The conditions are always the same: the artists give me a piece for free for compilation.
Here is the theme of the next compilation No Records :
"We are in the year 4572 in the Constellation of CassElliot. At this place, hyper space is forbidden as the area is populated by billions of civilizations. Everyone is crossing in this zone with a reduced speed. One thing unites these billions of living beings: the famous RADIO NAUTILUS, which emits 73 hours a day from the exoplanet Fitzgerald."
Artists are called to work on this theme : what music will we hear in over 2500 years on RADIO NAUTILUS ? What languages? Which radio shows or publicities ?
The subject is open and completely free !
Send your tracks and information via Wetransfer to this email, preferably as a WAV / 16 bit / 44.1 Khz file.
Maximum duration 60 minutes / Maximum file size 600MB.
Deadline on May 25, 2018 / Online on June 1, 2018
The compilation will be available for free download and free listening on the Bandcamp web page of No Records.
Do not forget to reserve your place in the RADIO NAUTILUS compilation project ! Send me a confirmation email !
Cassette Culture enthusiasts, be sure to visit Tape-Mag, Frank Maier's massive database of 19522 releases, 8288 artists & bands, and thousands more pieces of tape-label literature and documentation!
Frank was recently interviewed in The Wire!
I'll be appearing in Audiopollination #61 this Friday (Friday the 13th!) in a trio with Lorne Shapiro and Neil Wiernik. Neil and I haven't played together in ages, possibly since our days together in Urban Refuse Group in the 90s! Lorne is a new friend and this will be my first performance with him (although we have collaborated in a recording before). Looking forward to it! Details follow:
Fri., April 13, 2018
8pm - 11pm
Array Space, 155 Walnut Ave., Toronto
The Audiopollination for April is on Friday the 13th. So come put on your hockey masks and join us for a fun night of improvised music and murder (bring your own lake)
Set 1 Brodie Chisholm/ Nicolas Buligan/ Andrew Kay
Set 2 Lorne Shapiro/ William Davison/ Neil Wiernik
Set 3 Will Austin/ MJ Wright/ Luca Capone
Set 4 Kayla Milmine / Bea Labikova / Sarah Peebles
Hope to see you there!
Deadline 10th October 2018
Institute For Alien Research invites you to take part in Musique Concrète Audio Magnetic Tape
1. Duration: 4'33"
2. Be Musique Concrète
3. The track to be exclusively made for the Institute For Alien Research Musique Concrète compilation series
4. Pieces to be made themed; Audio Magnetic Tape; Compact Cassette, K7, mini cassette, micro cassette, cartridge cassette, Reel to Reel, Steel Tape… Using Audio Magnetic Tape as a source, as part of the process or a reference, or all of the above…
5. Make a piece of artwork/image or logo, 1500 x 1500 pixels in size
6. Send as a best quality wav up to 48.000 kHz 32 Bit to email@example.com via wetransfer
7. Send supporting text, explaining the process of making of the track,
and/or about your project, links, biography, etc
8. Finished compilation will go up on bandcamp
Contact EC Editor