It has been a while since I tapped words or shared goodies hereabouts. Apologies for the absence: time seems to have gotten away from me while getting my bearings following our transcontinental move last summer... not that it's been bewildering so as to stifle creative juices; the juices simply flow differently when one no longer lives and produces in relation to landscape, seasonal & temperature change, and so forth. Yup, SoCal kinda scrambles things when one is used to living in New England. And so, I've hatched a few new ears while adjusting to the beguiling lack of snow this winter. One particular outlet has been my new podcast, A Buford Whoso. It's still in the primordial-goo / loosey-goose format... freeform collage and sonic snippets caught here and there, plopped into the centrifuge, spun backwards a few times, and, voila! Have a listen.
Being out in here in these dusty lands has also reawakened my love for smushing annoying soundtracks on top of idiotic cinematic actions (or lack thereof). Results: here's a shorty, to be released later this year on VHS (which will be a shared split with Spreaders). In keeping with the spirit of the medium, I filmed with an ancient Quasar brand pre-camcorder-video camera for majority of the shots - that, or used it to rescan iPhone off the TV set to give it that grimy pixel-glorp. The entire process had me grinning like a cheeky twenty year old art student again. I love that these seemingly outdated technologies can still nudge their way into our digital boxes. Heh. Anyway...
Lastly, Alien Buddha Press is going to be publishing a book coming featuring collaborations with my pal, Marcel Herms. We're wrapping up the manuscript right now... hopefully we'll be able to share some links once the ink dries! Here's a peek.
1. I promise a friend that I’d snail mail some of my new stuff. While they live about 40 miles away, we’re on opposites ends of a very large city. I figure that the postal carrier will know how to get it there more quickly.
2. Of course, I have to wrap the hell out of it. I’d hate for the cd to get damaged.
3. Then I realize I forgot to include this tape!
4. So, that gets wrapped up
5. and affixed to the package containing the cd.
7. Well, almost.
8. Then there’s this nice brown paper…
9. gotta tape that up, too.
10. And it’d be really bad if I didn’t include another note
11. which at this point, seems to have an un-apologetic vibe.
12. And then I remember this OTHER tape… can’t let that one slide by.
13. Add it to the pile, secure it with cardboard
14. and more packing tape, but this time with the sticky side out
15. so that I can drape it in some nice, plush toilet paper
16. and swaddle it
17. with even more reading material, pages from Vanity Fair, I think (?)
18. and a red balloon …
19. an old block print,
20. this festive woodcut of a cabin,
21. and a xerox originally intended for a tape release from some years ago.
22. Next, wind it up with some freshy, minty dental floss
23. and don’t forget the note… jeez.
24. I have to wrap the crap out of that, too — hate for the note to get lost.
25. But will it fit into a standard 8.5 by 11 envelope?
26. Oh, you bet!
stir an urge w/ eons