Currently in progress in Linz, Austria, Cassette Culture Node Linz is a fantastic exhibition curated by Wolfgang Dorninger dedicated to the Cassette Culture of the 1980s and 1990s.
One of the features of the exhibition are listening stations where visitors can listen to continuously-playing cassettes loaded with music from cassettes of the 1980s and 90s. Wolfgang asked me to create a 90-minute program of selections from cassettes that were distributed by the Cause And Effect Distribution Service, which was operated by Debbie Jaffe and me in the mid-1980s.
In the 192 kbps MP3 players below you can listen to the program that I created, which includes short excerpts from the cassettes I chose plus narrations and commentaries by me in-between the tracks, very much in the style of a radio program or podcast. I selected cassettes that were listed in the first Cause And Effect Cassette Distribution Catalog in January 1985.
Here is the playlist of Side A of the tape (45 minutes):
– Schlafengarten: Memorandum
– Walls Of Genius: Before ...And After
– Viscera: A Whole Universe Of Horror Movies
– Dog As Master: Coffee Spleen & The Barking Dog
– Master/Slave Relationship: The Desire To Castrate Father
– Dega Ray: Clasp/Click
– John Wiggins: Anagenic
– Twa Digs Under Paris - i shin ohn
– Sue Ann Harkey: I tell you everything, just not out loud
– Let's Have Healthy Children: OSLWMMGIB?
After you click on the PLAY button it might take several seconds for the file to load, so please be patient.
Here is the playlist of Side B of the tape (45 minutes):
– Sadistic Gossip: Confessions Of A Shit Addict
– Bene Gesserit: Insane Music For Insane People Volume 1
– Magisch Theater: Magthea and Insanity
– DDAA: Prehistoric Rejet
– Architects Office: Memorial Issue
– Theatre Of Ice: The Haunting
– Grey Area: Anatomy Of Coincidence
– Paul Kelday: Worlds Apart
– Cleaners From Venus: Under Wartime Conditions